YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Help For Quake Victims

October 08, 1987

Seven disaster application centers will be open in the quake damage area beginning Sunday, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Wednesday, to help those with home, business or personal property losses to file for federal, state or local assistance.

An agency spokesman said offices will be "one-stop shopping centers" so that those seeking help will not have to seek out the appropriate agencies on their own.

Verne Paule said these centers will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. until further notice:

Los Angeles: Bellevue Park Recreation Center, 826 Lucille Ave.; Highland Park Recreation Center, 6150 Piedmont Ave.; Hollenbeck Recreation Center, 415 S. St. Louis St.

Alhambra: Almansor Gymnasium, 800 S. Almansor St.

Whittier: Whittier Quad Mall, Laurel Avenue at Whittier Boulevard.

Rosemead: Rosemead Community Center, 3936 N. Muscatel Ave.

La Habra: La Habra Senior Citizens Center, 165 La Habra Blvd.

Programs available include:

Rent subsidies for renters or homeowners needing shelter because of quake damage.

Small Business Administration low-interest disaster loans. The maximum loan is $100,000 for a home, $20,000 to replace lost personal property, or $500,000 for a quake-damaged business. A borrower must qualify and repay the loan.

Individual loans and family grants. Administered by the state and underwritten 75% by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, these are $5,000 grants for individuals who do not qualify for other assistance.

Agricultural assistance. Administered by the Farmers Home Administration, loans are limited to 80% of the production loss and to $500,000 per claim.

Disaster unemployment assistance, unemployment insurance benefits administered by the state Employment Development Department.

Legal services and counseling in connection with quake-caused problems. Supported by the Young Lawyers Division of the American Bar Assn.

Mental health counseling. Provided by the National Institute of Mental Health with the assistance of state and local health agencies.

Federal tax assistance. The Internal Revenue Service will furnish counselors to help quake victims deduct uninsured casualty losses from current or previous year's tax returns.

Aid to the elderly. Social Security Administration personnel will help senior citizens displaced by the quake redirect their Social Security checks if necessary, or to apply for disability, death and survival benefits.

Volunteer agencies. The Red Cross, Salvation Army and other non-government organizations will have representatives at the Disaster Application Centers to offer assistance.

Los Angeles Times Articles