MILWAUKEE — A fire that apparently was started by electric space heaters killed six children today, while the mother of at least five of the victims was in the hospital after giving birth to another child, authorities said.
Police Lt. Charles Grisham said that possibly all of the dead were children of Diane Washington, who rented the house. Washington, 38, was at Mount Sinai Medical Center after having a baby Tuesday. From 10 to 15 people lived in the house.
It was the second major fire in Milwaukee within a month. On Sept. 30, 10 children and two adults were killed in a fire about one mile from the scene of today's fire.