Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBarracks

Confined to Barracks Over Beating of Recruit : Queen's Guards Accused of Bullying

November 03, 1987|Reuters

LONDON — Soldiers of the Coldstream Guards, the much-photographed sentries at Queen Elizabeth II's Buckingham Palace home, have been confined to barracks after charges of brutal bullying, an army spokesman said today.

Battalion commander Miles Frisby ordered his 550 men confined to barracks on Monday until soldiers explained allegations by a 21-year-old recruit that he had been beaten up three times.

The move followed widespread charges of bullying in the British army and a series of courts-martial that have sparked demands for an inquiry into army life. Soldiers have complained of brutal initiation ceremonies, including sexual abuse.

A detachment of the guards, clad in their famous bearskin hats, marched out of the barracks this morning to take part in the traditional changing of the guard at the palace nearby.

"But no one goes out on private business until the culprits are found," an army spokesman said. "The problem, though, is that soldiers close ranks when things like this happen and they don't want to talk."

Labor opposition member of Parliament Jack Ashley, who has launched a personal campaign against brutality in the army, said fear and intimidation were rife in barrack rooms.

"Congratulations to commanding officer Frisby. At last the army is stamping on the bullies," he said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|