A 37-year old San Diego man was killed Saturday morning in a Logan Heights house fire.
Edward Hernandez died of burns and smoke inhalation, deputy coroner Cal Vine said. Police homicide detectives were called by firefighters but determined that the death was accidental, a police spokeswoman said.
Hernandez apparently was starting a fire in a fireplace when the blaze broke out. Damage to the single-family dwelling in the 1200 block of South 29th Street was estimated at $25,000, a Fire Department spokeswoman said, adding that there was no damage to nearby buildings.