YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

U.S. Will Send Delegation to Observe Haiti Election

November 25, 1987|Associated Press

WASHINGTON — President Reagan will send a delegation to Haiti this weekend to serve as observers of that country's first general elections in 30 years, a senior Administration official said today.

The official, speaking on condition he not be identified, said the delegation will include Rep. Benjamin A. Gilman of New York, a senior Republican member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee; Walter E. Fauntroy, Democratic delegate to Congress from the District of Columbia, and Jaime B. Fuster, Puerto Rican resident commissioner.

Also in the group will be representatives of labor, business, education, the church and the law, the official said.

Delegation Membership

Roger Allen Moore, general counsel of the Republican National Committee, was expected to serve as chairman.

Others in the group include the deputy assistant secretary of state for human rights, Paula Dobriansky; William Doherty, executive director of the American Institute for Free Labor Development; Ladonna Lee, of the International Foundation for Electoral Systems; Erns Exceus, managing director of the Latin American Bureau of the Americas Society; Msgr. William Murphy, an aide to Cardinal Bernard Law of Boston; Bruce McComb, deputy director of Freedom House, and former Air Force Secretary Thomas Reed.

The delegation is expected to fly to Port-au-Prince on Saturday, observe the voting by the people of Haiti for their president and members of the two-house National Assembly on Sunday and return to Washington to report to Reagan early next week.

Announcement of the monitoring plans came as vigilantes in Haiti early today killed four gunmen belonging to gangs intent on disrupting the elections, radio stations in Port-au-Prince reported.

In separate incidents, vigilantes--members of neighborhood "watch committees"--overwhelmed armed men who had driven past firing weapons, Radio Haiti Inter said.

People Use Stones

In the Cite Soleil slum, a gray jeep was stopped by a hail of stones, one armed man inside beaten to death and another killed when a sergeant turned him over to vigilantes after he sought refuge in the policeman's home.

Another unidentified gunman was beaten then lynched near the market that was destroyed two days earlier by arsonists. A fourth was doused with gasoline and burned to death.

Radio broadcasts said "neighborhood vigilante committees" have vowed to continue their resistance each night until election day.

Los Angeles Times Articles