Opening yet around round of public hearings on expanding the Los Angeles school district's year-round school program, parents from the Eastside to South-Central Los Angeles told a school board committee Wednesday night that they are perplexed by the controversial calendars.
The hearings, which will be held in different parts of the sprawling district over the next three months, were promised by the board in October, after it withdrew a decision to place the district on a year-round schedule beginning in 1989.
Board member Warren Furutani, who represents an area stretching from Watts to San Pedro, asked for reconsideration of the volatile issue because he did not believe the public had been adequately informed.
"We brought in something through the back door that had not had public scrutiny," Furutani, who chaired the hearing, told the largely Latino audience of about 150 at Drew Junior High School in South-Central Los Angeles. "That was unfair."