Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The State

December 11, 1987

Under pressure from city officials and much community protest, San Diego City Atty. John Witt late Thursday backed off from his opinion that a popular series of life-size Nativity scenes would be barred from the Organ Pavilion at Balboa Park starting next year. The avalanche of phone calls to city officials and Jewish groups came after Witt said earlier this week that the privately owned creche--eight scenes depicting the birth and life of Jesus Christ--would be barred from the public property starting next year. The preliminary opinion, Witt said, was prompted by inquiries this fall from the Jewish Community Relations Council, the social action arm of the United Jewish Federation.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|