More than 31,000 applications were made for various forms of earthquake disaster assistance following the temblors of October, a spokeswoman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Monday.
About $55 million in aid has been approved so far.
Federal involvement in the Los Angeles area earthquake recovery effort began Oct. 7 when President Reagan declared the Oct. 1 quake and subsequent aftershocks to be a major disaster.
Disaster application centers established at 10 locations took applications for state and federal aid between Oct. 11 and Saturday.
During the time they were in operation, 31,777 families and businesses registered for assistance, said Ruth Austen, a spokeswoman for the federal agency.
The assistance comes 75% from federal funds and 25% from state funds.