SILVERTON, Tex. — Eight people, including six children, died Tuesday when a butane heater blew up and their trailer home caught fire, officials said. Four people escaped.
The trailer, situated in a remote area about 7 miles south of this town on the edge of the Texas Panhandle, was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, a Silverton Volunteer Fire Department spokesman said.
The victims included a 25-year-old mother and five of her children, her 25-year-old sister-in-law and the woman's daughter. The women's husbands escaped and rescued two children, officials said.