A fire early Saturday left a 32-year-old man in critical condition and resulted in $50,000 damage to his Pacific Beach condominium, San Diego fire officials said.
Michael Shows, 32, was in critical condition second- and third-degree burns to 40% of his body, a nursing supervisor in the burn unit at UC San Diego Medical Center said Saturday night.
San Diego Fire Department Capt. Bob Summler said investigators determined that the fire was started after Shows had been smoking in bed.
He said there was no smoke detector in Shows' fourth-floor home.
"It is felt that if there had been a smoke detector, the victim would not have received the degree of injuries that he did," Summler said.