Advertisement

The State

February 08, 1988

An Oakland man who had a liver transplant after eating deadly wild mushrooms more than a month ago has been released from the hospital, a spokesman said. Wilhelm Winter, 45, was sent home in good condition, said Mike Byrne at the UCLA Medical Center. Winter and his girlfriend, Cynthia Zheng, 19, both ate poisonous amanita phalloides mushrooms, known as "death cups," which they had picked in Marin County. Winter received the new liver on Jan. 9, Byrne said. Zheng, who underwent a transplant on Jan. 6, remained hospitalized in fair condition.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|