Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Newswire

February 17, 1988

Former heavyweight champion George Foreman has turned down a fight with Sweden's Anders Eklund, but still plans to fight on a March 19 card in Las Vegas, according to Lee Samuels, a spokesman for Top Rank, which is promoting the card at Caesars Palace.

Samuels said that Foreman turned down the fight with Eklund because he just didn't like him as an opponent. Samuels said, "He told us he's here for one reason and that's to fight Mike Tyson. He wants short fighters who are aggressive and move toward him. Eklund's style was just the opposite."

Samuels said Foreman has been given the names of three possible opponents--Dwight Muhammad Qawi, a former light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion who was knocked out in the fourth round of his last fight against Evander Holyfield last year; Phoenix heavyweight Tony Fulilangi and Las Vegas heavyweight Rufus Hadley.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|