Avalon officials have announced they will seek federal disaster funds to repair an estimated $1.2 million in damage caused last week by a ferocious combination of high winds and tides.
Council members, in a special meeting Thursday night, proclaimed a local emergency, the first step in applying for federal funds, said City Manager John Longley. The council also passed a resolution requesting that Gov. George Deukmejian proclaim a state of emergency in Avalon. Engineers from the state Office of Emergency Services will inspect damage as early as this week and then recommend whether Avalon should receive the funds.
Longley termed the wave damage to the property along the shore, which occurred Wednesday morning when winds gusting up to 45 m.p.h. hit simultaneously with a high tide, "the most severe . . . in memory."
Besides damage to pilings, utilities and public restrooms, the concrete walkway between the downtown area and the Casino was severely damaged, Longley said. Major portions of Pebbly Beach Road were washed out, and three pleasure craft sustained major damage, he said.
"We had places under water that had never been hit before," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Dale Goss.