A live-in nurse suffered burns and smoke inhalation trying to rescue an elderly man who died in a burning house in Westchester early Saturday, authorities said.
The nurse, whose identity was not released, was taken to Daniel Freeman Marina Hospital for treatment, Fire Department spokesman Greg Acevedo said. Her condition was not immediately known.
The 76-year-old victim, whose name was withheld until his relatives could be notified, died at the scene, Acevedo said.
A smoke alarm woke the nurse at 3:55 a.m., Acevedo said. She got up and found the living room of the house at 7728 S. Hosford Ave. in flames, Acevedo said. She dragged the man from the blazing room, suffering smoke inhalation and burns in the attempt to save him, he said.
About 15 firefighters put out the blaze at 4:10 a.m. The fire was apparently caused by smoking, Acevedo said, adding that damage was about $105,000.