The following hospitals have state-licensed emergency rooms with a physician on duty 24 hours per day. Only UCI Medical Center provides comprehensive as well as basic emergency medical service (see definitions below).
1. Anaheim General Hospital, 3350 W. Ball Road, Anaheim
2. Anaheim Memorial Hospital, 1111 W. La Palma Ave., Anaheim
3. Humana Hospital-West Anaheim, 3033 W. Orange Ave., Anaheim
4. Kaiser Foundation Hospital Anaheim, 441 N. Lakeview Dr., Anaheim
5. Martin Luther Medical Center, 1830 W. Romneya Dr., Anaheim
6. Western Medical Center-Anaheim, 1025 S. Anaheim Blvd., Anaheim
7. Brea Community Hospital, 380 W. Central Ave., Brea
8. Buena Park Doctors Hospital, 5742 Beach Blvd., Buena Park*
9. College Hospital/Costa Mesa, 301 Victoria St., Costa Mesa
10. Fountain Valley Regional Hospital and Medical Center, 17100 Euclid St., Fountain Valley**
11. St. Jude Hospital & Rehabilitation Center, 101 E. Valencia Mesa Dr., Fullerton
12. Medical Center of Garden Grove, 12601 Garden Grove Blvd., Garden Grove
13. Humana Hospital Huntington Beach, 17772 Beach Blvd., Huntington Beach
14. Pacifica Community Hospital, 18792 Delaware St., Huntington Beach
15. South Coast Medical Center, 31872 Coast Highway, Laguna Beach
16. Saddleback Hospital, 24451 Health Center Dr., Laguna Hills
17. La Habra Community Hospital, 1251 W. Lambert Rd., La Habra
18. La Palma Intercommunity Hospital, 7901 Walker St., La Palma
19. Los Alamitos General Hospital, 3751 Katella Ave., Los Alamitos
20. Mission Community Hospital, 27700 Medical Center Rd., Mission Viejo**
21. Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, 301 N. Newport Blvd., Newport Beach
22. Chapman General Hospital, 2601 E. Chapman Ave., Orange
23. Childrens Hospital of Orange County, 455 S. Main St., Orange
24. St. Joseph Hospital, 1100 W. Stewart Dr., Orange
25. UCI Medical Center, 101 The City Drive, Orange**
26. Placentia-Linda Community Hospital, 1301 N. Rose Dr., Placentia
27. San Clemente General Hospital, 654 Camino de los Mares, San Clemente
28. Coastal Communities Hospital, 2701 S. Bristol St., Santa Ana
29. Doctors Hospital of Santa Ana, 1901 College Ave., Santa Ana*
30. Western Medical Center-Santa Ana, 1345 S. Grand Ave., Santa Ana**
31. Midwood Community Hospital, 7770 Katella Ave., Stanton
32. Healthcare Medical Center of Tustin, 14662 Newport Ave., Tustin
33. Humana Hospital Westminster, 200 Hospital Circle, Westminster
34. St. Jude Hospital-Yorba Linda, 16850 E. Bastanchury Rd., Yorba Linda
* Not a Paramedic Receiving Unit. To be designated as a Paramedic Receiving Unit by the Orange County Emergency Medical Services Agency, an emergency room must meet additional requirements -- including 24-hour laboratory, X-ray and other diagnostic capabilities -- as well as provide around-the-clock basic emergency service.
** Trauma Centers; are specifically equipped and staffed to treat the most serious injuries. State law requires one trauma center per 350,000 population. Orange County's goal is to have residents no more than 20 minutes from such a center, no matter where they are in the county.
Basic Emergency Medical Service, Physician on Duty--meets the provision of emergency medical care in a specifically designated area of a hospital that is equipped and staffed at all times to provide prompt care to any patient presenting urgent medical problems.
Comprehensive Emergency Medical Service--meets the provision of diagnostic and therapeutic services for unforeseen physical and mental disorders which, if not promptly treated, would lead to marked suffering, disability or death. The scope of services is comprehensive, with in-house capability for managing all medical situations on a definitive and continuing basis.
Source: Hospital Council of Southern California