Rancher John Bixby bought Rancho Los Alamitos (Little Cotton Trees) around 1850 and set aside 5,000 acres to build a city. A portion of that land is known today as Rossmoor, an affluent unincorporated community of Orange County.
In the 1950s some of the land was subdivided to build homes, two shopping centers, four school sites and two church sites. At that time it was the largest subdivision ever built in Orange County. Those with enough foresight to buy in those early days have seen their equity increase tenfold or more.
However, the area has not been problem-free. In 1985 the county informed Rossmoor that the homeowners association had surpassed its alloted amount for maintenance services and halted all payments. A year later the Community Services District was formed to supply Rossmoor's street sweeping and lighting, landscaping, public recreation, median landscaping and parkway tree maintenance maintenance.
In a vigorous public campaign, the community disputed plans for asite that had been designated for a school. Instead in 1975, the Rossmoor Community Park became a reality.