YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections
(Page 2 of 2)

Nothing Interferes With Dodger Win, 5-4

June 06, 1988|SAM McMANIS | Times Staff Writer

The Dodgers added two runs in the equally eventful fifth inning to take a 5-1 lead. After Gibson's double scored Steve Sax from second base, Gibson exchanged words with Crawford at second base.

"He didn't like the way I called him safe," Crawford said. "He thought I was baiting him. He said, 'What do you mean by that?' I said, 'What do you mean what do I mean?' "

Said Gibson: "That's exactly what I thought. I knew he was baiting me. I was very intense today, probably too intense. Maybe I said more than I should have. . . . Things were getting out of hand."

The arguments escalated when the usually docile Amalfitano came to restrain Gibson and then started vehemently arguing with Harvey because Harvey apparently told him he wanted to move the game along.

When the inning finally resumed, Marshall hit a grounder to Larkin at short. This time, Larkin's throw went over Nick Esasky's head at first base and into a photo well, scoring Gibson for a 5-1 Dodger lead.

The next inning, Larkin left the game with a bruised middle finger on his right hand. Maybe a bruised ego, too. Afterward, Larkin said he injured his hand slamming his bat into a clubhouse wall in Chicago a few days ago.

"I had no feeling in my finger," Larkin said. "I said to Pete that I'd keep going out there if he wanted, but I can't keep doing this."

After Larkin's departure, the action settled down. Leary gave up a run in the sixth inning and a run in the eighth after back-to-back ground-rule doubles by Paul O'Neill and Esasky.

On came reliever Howell and a brief resurrection of controversy. With Esasky on second and two out, Howell was called for a balk by Harvey, who apparently yelled out the call while Howell was in his windup. Bo Diaz, the batter, singled off Jeff Hamilton's glove at third, scoring Esasky to cut the lead to 5-4.

Lasorda's contention was that Hamilton relaxed after hearing the balk call and barely missed the grounder. He thought Harvey should have waited until the pitch was thrown to make the call.

But, given that Howell retired the Reds in the ninth, and given other contentious developments, Lasorda seemed willing to let that one slide.

Dodger Notes

Pedro Guerrero, whose sore neck and upper left back forced him to miss Sunday's game, will be examined by a back specialist early this week, according to trainer Bill Buhler. . . . Reliever Jesse Orosco's sore left elbow is not an arthritic condition, as reported Sunday. "He's still taking hot and cold treatment and he says he's available (to pitch)," Buhler said. . . . John Shelby extended his hitting streak to 20 games Sunday, but he didn't want to discuss it. "What's the record, 56? Talk to me if I get closer. It's nothing now," Shelby said. . . . Mike Davis, who went 0 for 4 and made his second error in as many days in right field, had to be restrained by Manager Tom Lasorda after a fan yelled abuse at him outside the dugout. "I don't know what you're talking about," Davis said, declining to talk about the incident. . . . Shortstop Mariano Duncan, playing for the Dodgers' triple-A team in Albuquerque, has had chest and back pains recently. He was in Los Angeles Sunday to be examined by doctors, who apparently have ruled out any heart condition.

Los Angeles Times Articles