Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

'The Applause Is Deserved'

June 15, 1988

The Medicare catastrophic-care bill you supported in your editorial places an undue burden on a small percent of the elderly: Most of us who pay taxes already pay on one-half of our Social Security income. In addition, this 40% of the elderly will now have to pay up to $1,600 per couple to support the new benefits for the other 60%. Essentially, this bill is a welfare payment by a small population for a large population. (Typically such support has been made from general tax revenues.)

We now pay some $700 per year for a medi-gap policy that includes many more benefits than this bill. It pays the 20% required on doctor fees and has a $1,000 out-of-pocket cap. The initial $540 first-day hospital cost is now picked up by our local hospital.

We are certainly willing to pay our fair share, along with everyone else. However, for us this additional burden will result in our cutting back on our other charitable contributions!

MR. and MRS. T.H. SALZBERG

Port Hueneme

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|