A monument to bad taste? You bet. Take for example the ad touting the economic force of the "American smoker."
Smokers are an economic force for sure. Take note, please.
- The billions of dollars in subsidies to tobacco growers paid out of taxes, about half of which is paid for by nonsmokers.
- Wages of firemen putting out fires started by people smoking in bed or flipping lighted butts out of car windows.
- Medical costs. A good basic income for physicians and hospitals.
- Sign painters making a bit of extra income with "No Smoking" etc. signs.
- Aromatic spray can manufacturers that hotels couldn't get along without.
- Attorney fees. Let's not forget the lawyers, pro or con, who will pocket substantial bucks no matter who wins or loses.
DOUGLAS PARMENTIER JR.