Two workers were critically burned Wednesday evening when an electrical panel exploded at a Costa Mesa business.
Jess Burnett and Doug Lang, employed by Valentec International Corp., were treated by paramedics and airlifted by helicopter to the burn unit of UCI Medical Center in Orange, Costa Mesa Fire Department Battalion Chief William Raymer said.
Burnett suffered second- and first-degree burns over 80% of his body, Raymer said. Lang suffered similar burns over 60% of his body.
The men were working on the electrical panel at 5:44 p.m. when an arc of electricity apparently sparked the explosion, causing both to suffer flash burns at the site in the 3100 block of Pullman Street, Raymer said.
"When they were treated by paramedics, their clothes were pretty much in shreds," according to Raymer, who said that their hair, their arms and chests were smoking when they were found by paramedics.
Both victims were listed in critical condition Wednesday night.