YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Tyson Suffers Head Injury in Crash : Hospital Lists Condition as Stable; Car Skids on Wet Road

September 05, 1988| United Press International

CATSKILL, N.Y. — Heavyweight champion Mike Tyson suffered a head injury when his car crashed on a rain-slicked road near his training camp Sunday and he was listed in stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The 22-year-old champion was scheduled to undergo neurological tests at the Columbia-Greene Medical Center in Catskill, about 20 miles south of Albany, said spokeswoman Ann Grebert. The injury was the second in two weeks for Tyson, who hurt his hand in a street fight Aug. 23.

"At 11:20 a.m., Mike Tyson's automobile skidded on a wet road near his training ground in Catskill, N.Y.," said Grebert, reading a statement she said was approved by "Tyson's family."

"Mr. Tyson suffered a head injury and was brought to the Columbia-Greene Medical Center in Catskill," the statement continued. "He is in stable condition, but his physicians have recommended that he undergo further neurological tests."

Local and state police departments said they were not alerted to the car accident and received all their information from the hospital.

Grebert would not say whether Tyson would be treated at the hospital or at his nearby training camp. She said she would give no more information than what the statement contained.

Tyson suffered a hairline fracture of his right hand Aug. 23 in an early-morning street brawl with former opponent Mitch Green outside an all-night Harlem clothing store.

The hand injury forced his scheduled title defense against Frank Bruno in London to be postponed from Oct. 8 to Oct. 22. Tyson is 35-0 with 31 knockouts.

The car accident took place near the Catskill home where Tyson went to live with his late trainer Cus D'Amato as a teen-ager. A native of Brooklyn, Tyson now lives in Bernardsville, N.J., with his wife, actress Robin Givens, but has been training upstate for the Bruno bout.

Grebert would not say whether Givens was with Tyson at the time of the accident.

Los Angeles Times Articles