1. Mt. Calvary Episcopal Monastery, Santa Barbara. Run by Order of the Holy Cross monks. 20 acres in hills above city; sweeping coastline view. Open weekdays for individuals or groups; five chapel services daily. Will close for renovations June 1-Dec. 31. (805) 962-9855.
2. La Casa de Maria, Montecito. Ecumenical. 26-acre densely wooded grounds. Individual retreats Wednesdays through Sundays; groups up to 150 for spiritual, educational and psychological purposes. (805) 969-5031.
3. The Ojai Foundation, Ojai. Founded in the tradition of the late India-born philosopher Jiddu Krishnamurti; emphasizes Eastern, Native American spirituality. Forty acres of semi-wilderness. Work-retreat school and programs plus weekday and weekend retreats, events. (805) 646-8343.
4. Camp Ramah, Ojai. Affiliated with the University of Judaism. Weekend retreats for those interested in Judaism; six scholar-in-residence weekends; summer children's camps. (213) 476-8571.
5. Camp El Camino Pines, Frazier Park. Lutheran. Thirty acres on national forest land. Many recreational facilities; RV/tent sites. Groups from 30 to 130 by day or week. (818) 367-8784.
6. The Oaks, Lake Hughes. Sponsored by World Impact Inc. Nestled in a 130-acre secluded valley. Year-round; camps and retreats for groups, churches. (805) 724-1018.
7. Brandeis-Bardin Institute, Santa Susana. For Jews of all backgrounds. Setting is 3,100 acres of rolling hills; features the "House of the Book." Theme weekends; day programs with scholars in residence; workshops in music, drama and Israeli dance. (805) 526-1131.
8. St. Andrew's Priory, Valyermo. Roman Catholic monastic community of the Benedictines. High desert. Individuals or groups up to 36 on weekdays; seasonal weekend retreats; youth retreats. Breakfast in silence; daily noon Mass, Vespers. (805) 944-2178.
9. Paradise Springs, Valyermo. Interdenominational. In Angeles National Forest. All types of retreats; many recreational facilities. Families, groups up to 45, plus outdoor accommodations for up to 200. (805) 944-4500.
10. Serra Retreat House, Malibu. Run by Roman Catholic Franciscan friars. Twenty-seven acres, overlooks ocean. Individual retreats, groups to 92 during weekdays; weekend retreats booked by parishes. Mass daily at 7:15 a.m. (213) 456-6631.
11. Campus by the Sea, Santa Catalina Island. Affiliated with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. At the mouth of rugged canyon; sheltered beach. Sponsors family, college, youth camps; rental for groups from 25 to 100 in winter, 200 in summer. Open March 1-Dec. 15. (213) 510-0015.
12. Holy Spirit Retreat Center, Encino. Run by Catholic Sisters of Social Service. Ecumenical atmosphere; peaceful 10-acre garden compound half a mile from Ventura Boulevard. Separate building for private retreatants. Groups up to 48. (818) 784-4515
13. Poverello of Assisi Retreat House, San Fernando. Staffed by Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Conception. Days and evenings of Recollection; private one-day meetings; retreats for women. Retreats in Spanish available. (818) 365-1071
14. Angeles Crest Christian Camp, La Canada. Christian Church/Church of Christ. In the San Gabriel Mountains. Chapel, recreation. Year-round; individuals and groups to 250. (818) 449-9099.
15. Immaculate Heart Retreat House, West Los Angeles. Staffed by Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Near Brentwood. Days of Recollection only; no overnights. (213) 664-1126.
16. Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine, Pacific Palisades. Operated by the Self-Realization Fellowship; world religions emphasis. Near ocean on 14 acres. Lake, chapel, shrines. Open to public 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. (213) 225-2471.
17. Claretian Retreat Center, Los Angeles. Roman Catholic. Quiet atmosphere in mid-city. Chapel, garden patio. Individuals, groups; days of recollection, meetings, overnights, dining. (213) 737-8464.
18. Mary & Joseph Retreat Center, Rancho Palos Verdes. Staffed by the Daughters of Mary & Joseph. Scenic hilltop setting. Variety of retreats, special-interest workshops for individuals, groups. (213) 377-4867.
19. Dominguez Youth Retreat Center, Rancho Dominguez. Staffed by Claretian Missionaries. Secluded historic site of the Dominguez Ranch House. Chapel, large grounds. Individual retreats, groups to 50; all ages.
20. Sacred Heart Retreat House, Alhambra. Staffed by Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart. Specializes in weekend retreats for women. (818) 289-1353.
21. De Paul Center, Montebello. Staffed by the Vincentian Community, others. Beautifully landscaped, quiet. Retreats, workshops, seminars. Spanish available. (213) 723-7343.
22. St. Joseph's Salesian Youth Renewal Center, Rosemead. Roman Catholic. One-day, weekends; overnights for up to 110. Specializes in school, education retreats. (818) 280-8622.