Burbank High School--as much a part of that city's colorful heritage as its entertainment industry--has endured eight decades of irrepressible youthful energy. Along the way it has been revitalized, updated and expanded.
With the Verdugo Hills as its unchanging backdrop, the first Burbank Union High School opened in September, 1909, at Cypress Avenue and San Fernando Road.
In 1922, a new high school was built at Third Street and Burbank Boulevard, described as "on the fringe of the town," to keep pace with a growing city that was experiencing a degree of prosperity unequaled by any community in Southern California.
The school opened that year in its permanent location, with an enrollment of 110 students, a faculty of 10 and its first football team. Bobbed hair was the rage, middies and skirts were the uniform of the day for girls, and the favorite student hangout was an ice cream parlor known as Kewpie.