The Southern California Gas Co. building, which has been acquired by Pasadena to house the city prosecutor's office and the Department of Planning, Housing and Development Services, will be renamed in honor of George Ellery Hale at a dedication ceremony Aug. 27.
Hale was the organizer and director of the Mt. Wilson Observatory. He helped create the California Institute of Technology, served on the city's first planning commission and helped develop Pasadena's civic center in the 1920s. He died in 1938.
The building being renamed for Hale is at 281 E. Ramona St., next to the site where the city is constructing a new police building.