Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

ON THE SIDELINES : Tyson-Williams Rematch Refused

August 22, 1989|From Times Wire Services

NEW YORK — Carl Williams must knock out a few good fighters before he deserves consideration for a rematch with Mike Tyson, who stopped Williams in 93 seconds of the first round last month, a spokesman for promoter Don King said today.

"How can you ask for a rematch after what happened?" King spokesman Al Braverman asked, referring to the heavyweight champion's quick work of Williams. "You can't ask to come back after that. Let him go out and knock out a few good fighters. Go out and get the toughest guys you can and let him redeem himself."

Williams' manager, Ira Leibowitz, has demanded in letters to boxing's three main sanctioning bodies and the New Jersey State Athletic Commission, which had jurisdiction over the July 21 fight in Atlantic City, that the fight be declared "no contest" because he claims that the referee stopped the bout too soon. Leibowitz sent a similar letter to King, Braverman said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|