For dedicated gardeners, here are suggestions from the California Assn. of Nurserymen:
* Clean up your garden, spray for insect pests and keep after the slugs and snails.
* Plant just about anything right now; the warm soil and coming winter rains will give it a good chance to get established for a spurt of spring growth and a better chance to survive next summer.
* Nurseries will have a selection of evergreen shrubs to choose from at this time: camellias, hollies, pyracantha and pittosporum.
* Cut back your Shasta daisies after they stop blooming.
* It's time to plant holly, barberry, pyracantha or toyon for the Christmas season.