Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Two Plead Guilty in Drive-By Shooting

Digest: Local News in Brief

October 19, 1989

Two suspected gang members pleaded guilty last week to charges of attempted murder in connection with a May 19 drive-by shooting outside a Glendale church.

At a preliminary hearing in Glendale Municipal Court, the two 17-year-old Los Angeles residents pleaded guilty Oct. 11 in the shooting of a 17-year-old boy.

As part of a negotiated agreement between attorneys in the case, charges of shooting at an occupied motor vehicle will be dropped, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Andy Reynolds.

The two were arrested in the shooting of Erwin de Jesus Sibal, an Eagle Rock High School student, outside a dance at Holy Family Church.

Sibal, of Glassell Park, was hit in the chest, abdomen and arm at close range with a .38-caliber gun fired from a passing car, police said. He spent 11 days in a hospital.

A Pasadena Juvenile Court judge ruled in August that the pair would be tried as adults, due to the seriousness of the crime.

They are scheduled to be sentenced by Pasadena Superior Court Judge Terry Smerling on Oct. 25. They each could be sentenced to a maximum of 12 years in prison, Reynolds said. They are being held without bail at Eastlake Juvenile Hall.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|