Your editorial "Ortega Blows It Again" (Oct. 31) is an excellent example of the isolation of U.S. political and media culture.
President Daniel Ortega is supposed to remain passive and not fight back after the Reagan and Bush administrations have:
* Directly financed the killing of 40,000 Nicaraguans. That killing has escalated in the past two weeks.
* Conducted one of the greatest scandals in U.S. history, Iran-Contra, to illegally finance this slaughter.
* Mined the harbors of Nicaragua and set fire to the principal port city.
* Ignored the highest body of the United Nations, the World Court, and its decision to condemn these acts and demand restitution.
* Conducted and continually renewed an embargo against Nicaragua which is an ongoing act of war.
* Conducted endless threatening offensive maneuvers by U.S. troops in Honduras very close to the Nicaraguan border.
* Closed the consulates of Nicaragua in the United States and expelled Nicaraguan diplomats.
* Denied visas to Nicaraguan political and cultural leaders.