NEWTON, Mass. — A teddy bear that jumps rope, dolls with removable parts and "Freddy Krueger" horror gloves topped a consumer advocate's 18th annual list of dangerous toys today.
More than 500 third- and fourth-grade schoolchildren here joined Edward Swartz, a Boston trial lawyer, consumer advocate and author of the book "Toys That Kill," as he released his annual list. The students helped Swartz select the final toys from a list of 21 candidates.
Toys on the list this year and dangers cited by Swartz:
1. "Jump Rope" Teddy Bear, for age 3 and up; comes with a nylon jump rope and a headband that both pose risk of strangulation injury.
2. "Popeye" doll; a small removable pipe included with the doll poses ingestion and choking risk.
3. Freddy Krueger's "razor" glove and Butcher Knife and Meat Cleaver; both could be used in violent manner and cause injury.
4. X-15 Rocket Plane (Ready to Fly Model); Suggestions for adult supervision and warnings about power lines reveal the toy is unsafe.
5. Kid Sister; detachable hair ribbons and elastic bands can be swallowed.