The Contractors State License Board wants to help consumers learn to identify asbestos and be aware of precautions to take in its removal.
Asbestos cleanup of more than 100 square feet requires certification by the state. Even if the work is done by a homeowner, state regulations apply.
Asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral fiber, can cause asbestosis and cancer. Asbestos has been used in vinyl floor tile, vinyl sheet flooring, patching compounds, textured paints, ceilings, stove and furnace insulation, pipe insulation, wall and ceiling insulation, appliances, roofing, shingles and siding.
For a free copy of its 12-page booklet, "A Consumer Guide to Asbestos," send a self-addressed envelope to the board at P.O. Box 26000, Sacramento, Calif. 95826. A current list of contractors certified by the state to engage in asbestos-related work can also be requested.