The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced a $1,500 reward Friday for information about the death of a dog that ate poisoned meat placed in a Sylmar field.
The dog, a 4-year-old Hungarian Vizsla pointer named Thyme, died about midnight Thursday at a Sylmar veterinarian's office, authorities said. Owner Paul Anthony, 35, of Sylmar was walking home with the dog after dropping off his car for repairs about 5 p.m. Thursday when the dog strayed from his side and ate meat that had been placed on a piece of cardboard, Detective Tony Guarino of the Los Angeles Police Department said.
Anthony took the dog to the veterinarian after it began acting strangely shortly after they arrived home, Guarino said.
Anthony told police the meat contained green-colored pellets, which SPCA officials said was probably gopher poison. Officials were testing the pellets as well as three empty cans that were found next to the cardboard to see if the meat was poisoned. An autopsy on the dog was expected to be performed late Friday or early next week, Sgt. Cori Whetstone of the SPCA said.
Whetstone said she believes the poison was not intended for use against rodents. "Gophers go for grain or dried fruit or nuts," she said. "You don't mix it up with meat and set it on cardboard and leave it in the open. This is what leads us to believe that it is intentional poisoning."
Guarino said there had been no reports of other pet poisonings in the area.