Each year, the businesses, churches, schools, museums, community groups and historic centers of Highland Park join in a three-day celebration of the area's history and culture. This year's Highland Park Cultural Festival begins Friday. Following is a listing of locations and activities. All events are free unless otherwise stated.
* Opening ceremony, 7:30 p.m. St. Luke's United Methodist Church, 5443 Ash St.; family entertainment followed by ministerial fellowship.
* Farmers' Market, Sycamore Grove Park, Figueroa Street at Avenue 46; fresh produce on sale in an outdoor setting; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
* Arroyo Seco Regional Library, 6145 N. Figueroa St.; open house and historical display; 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
* St. Ignatius Catholic Church, 322 N. Avenue 61; open house; 3 to 5 p.m. Friday.
* Optimist Boy's Club Home and Ranch, 6957 N. Figueroa St.; open house; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
* Art in the Park, Arroyo Seco Park, 5568 Via Marisol; mural painting (ages 7-17) and "Wearable Art and Handmade Paper" (ages 7-11), 3:30 to 5 p.m. Friday; "Clay Club" (ages 5-8) and painting (all ages), 10 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday; "What I Like Best About My Neighborhood," student drawing exhibit, all weekend.
* Judson Stained Glass Studios, 200 S. Avenue 66; tours and demonstrations; 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
* Indian Head Waters, 226 S. Avenue 54; tours and refreshments; 9 a.m. to noon, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
* Highland Park Heritage Trust Walking Tour, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday; 90-minute tours leaving every 30 minutes from 445 N. Avenue 53 ($5, students/seniors $3, children free).
* Lummis Home (El Alisal), 200 E. Avenue 43; continuous house and garden tours, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; guitar performance, noon to 3 p.m. Sunday.
* Arroyo Vista Health Center, 6000 N. Figueroa St.; blood pressure tests and vision screening; 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
* Carlin G. Smith Recreation Center, 511 W. Avenue 46; Latin foods and dancing; 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
* All Saints Episcopal Church, 5619 Monte Vista St.; open house; 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
* Highland Park Baptist Church, 5817 Monte Vista St.; open house; 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
* Kanzeonhi Zen Buddhist Temple, 944 Terrace 49; Buddhist meditation, chanting and yoga classes; 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
* Pacific Christian High School, 625 Coleman Ave.; open house and drama presentation; 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
* Pillar of Fire, 4900 N. Figueroa St.; open house; 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
* Pisgah Home and Tabernacle, 6026 Echo St.; open house and refreshments; 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
* St. Luke's United Methodist Church, 5443 Ash St.; open house; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
* Ebell Club, 131 S. Avenue 57; photographs and archives, 9:30 to noon Saturday; program by Highland Park Dance Theatre School, 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
* Casa de Adobe, 5605 N. Figueroa St.; open house, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; Pepe Pena playing the Paraguayan harp, noon to 3 p.m. Sunday; arts, crafts and book fair by the Arroyo Arts Collective, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
* Southwest Museum, 234 Museum Drive; open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; Native American crafts demonstrations, noon to 3 p.m. Sunday in the patio; musical performances, 1:30 p.m. Sunday in the auditorium.
* Heritage Square, 3800 Homer St.; open noon to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; "Somewhere in Time," a first-person interpretive living history program, Sunday only; adults $4.50, students and seniors $3, children free.
* Old Northeast Police Station, 6045 York Blvd.; tour and displays; noon to 3 p.m. Sunday.
* American Legion Post 206, 227 N. Avenue 55; All-American Hot Dogs; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday; $1.50.
* Closing Ceremony--Luther Burbank Junior High School, 6400 N. Figueroa St.; Covina Concert Band, intermission tea hosted by Councilwoman Gloria Molina and Councilman Richard Alatorre; 3 p.m. Sunday.