"Termite Report" by Jeanne Boyer (June 3) failed to mention that after fumigating a home, concentrations of pesticide inside the residence may actually increase for many years.
This is because the gas is absorbed into porous materials found in the home, from wall board to acoustical tile. These long-term and increasing concentrations of fumigant released inside the home have been linked to neurological problems and other allergic conditions, especially in children.
Homeowners should be cautioned about the dangers of using a gas fumigant, especially since alternatives such as freezing termites are so readily available. Also, prospective buyers should consider avoiding homes that have been fumigated, or at least test for levels of pesticide residue.