Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsElectricity

LOCAL : 3 Burned in Chatsworth Blast

July 25, 1990|From Times Staff and Wire Service Reports

Three workers at a Chatsworth frozen food company suffered third-degree burns this morning when an electrical panel exploded.

The victims, whose names were not released, were working at Chef America, 9601 Canoga Ave., when the explosion occurred.

"All three of them are burned over 60% of their bodies with third-degree burns," said Leslie Wither, spokeswoman for Northridge Hospital Medical Center.

A Chef America spokesman said the men, ages 19, 35 and 60, were attempting to replace a breaker when the accident occurred about 10:10 a.m.

"Somebody dropped the panel on some high-voltage wires, said company Vice President Paul Meraj. . . . There was a flash and they were burned."

The 480-volt panel was inside the plant and was used to distribute electricity from a Department of Water and Power industrial station. The building was not damaged.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|