Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

A Creative Sale of Student Art

October 17, 1990|KAREN E. KLEIN

So you can't afford a David Hockney or an Ansel Adams, yet the desire still burns to possess an original work of art.

Those willing to take a chance on an unknown artist might bag a future masterpiece at this weekend's student art sale at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.

This is the first time in the school's 60-year history that it has conducted a sale of student work, said Art Center spokeswoman Diane Reed. More than 500 pieces will be available for purchase, including photographs, sculptures, illustrations, oil and water paintings, and even car models from the school's industrial design department. Prices will start at $10 and go up to $5,000, Reed said.

"It's exciting to know that these are the artists of the future, but you won't have to pay gallery prices

to get their work," Reed said. Some of the students who created the art will be on hand to talk about their pieces and how best to display them, she said.

The proceeds of the two-day sale will be split, with 20% going to a school scholarship fund and the remaining 80% going to the student artists, Reed said.

The sale idea was hatched after visitors to the campus art gallery hounded school administrators about purchasing the art they saw there. "This is a nice way to sell the work and raise some funds for scholarships," Reed said.

The sale will be held at Art Center's downtown Pasadena campus, 54 W. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|