One of the joys of traveling is coming home.
Reduce the risk of finding that your house has been burglarized by following these tips before leaving:
* Ask a trusted neighbor to collect the mail, newspapers and deliveries and to check the house from time to time.
* Arrange to have the lawn mowed.
* Put valuables and documents in a bank safe-deposit box.
* Lock all doors and windows, including those in the garage.
* Light all entries. Burglars avoid bright areas.
* Instead of leaving interior lights and appliances on all the time, set timers to simulate normal use.
* Turn down the bell on the telephone. A nonstop ringing phone tells a burglar that no one is home.
* Don't store empty trash cans outside. Hide them in a locked garage or out of sight.