A number of San Gabriel Valley churches and organizations are offering hot meals and bags of groceries to the needy during Thanksgiving week.
Organizers said that donations and volunteers are needed. Following are descriptions of some of the events that are planned:
* The Hunger Program of the Pomona Valley Council of Churches will give away holiday food items Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; 1095 W. Grand Ave., Pomona; call (714) 622-7278 to volunteer for three-hour shifts.
* The People Place of Claremont and Pomona need help distributing food baskets on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; two locations: 135 W. 1st St. in Claremont and 450 W. Holt Ave. in Pomona.
* Bethany Community Church of Pomona needs volunteers to help serve a hot meal on Monday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.; 1750 W. Holt Ave., Pomona.
* New Gethsemane Church of God and Christ will hold an early Thanksgiving meal on Tuesday; 177 W. Monterey Ave., Pomona; volunteers should arrive by 10 a.m.
* The Salvation Army in Pomona needs volunteers to help assemble food baskets on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to noon, and 7 to 8:30 p.m.; located at 490 E. La Verne Ave.
* The Salvation Army in Pasadena needs volunteers to help hand out Thanksgiving food baskets on Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon; 960 E. Walnut St.
* Union Station, a Pasadena homeless organization, with volunteers from All Saints Episcopal Church, will hold its annual Dinner-in-the-Park on Thanksgiving Day, complete with entertainment; Pasadena's Central Park, located at Fair Oaks and Del Mar avenues; volunteers needed from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
* Tom's No. 12 fast food restaurant will close its doors for business on Thanksgiving Day to serve a free turkey dinner to the poor; servers needed from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; 282 E. Mission Blvd., Pomona.