Glendale officials have decided not to appeal a Superior Court ruling that will force the city to process three applications to build about 60 apartments and condominiums, City Atty. Scott H. Howard said Tuesday.
The city rejected the housing developments after a building moratorium was enacted in 1988. Judge Edward M. Ross ruled last month that because the moratorium was declared illegal in court, the city had no right to continue to turn down the developers.
City officials vowed to appeal, fearing that the judge had opened the door to a flood of development proposals based on less restrictive 1988 building rules.
But Howard said Tuesday that there will be no appeal because Ross' ruling affects only the three projects listed by the Moratorium Litigation Committee, which brought the matter to court.
A second building freeze, adopted legally in 1989, is set to end in December.