WASHINGTON — A year from now as many as 20 million Americans may be able to file their federal tax returns without making a single mathematical calculation. About 3,000 Texans are getting a shot this filing season at experimental Form 1040EZ-1.
With the new half-page form, you:
- Attach the IRS' stick-on name-and-address label.
- Fill in your Social Security number.
- Answer whether you want $1 to go to the presidential campaign fund.
- Say whether a parent can claim you as a dependent.
- List your taxable interest income.
- Attach your W2 forms provided by your employer.
- Sign and date the return.
"When we receive your information, we'll figure your tax and send you a refund in six to eight weeks, or bill you if you owe tax. We'll also send you a statement showing how we figured your tax," IRS chief Fred T. Goldberg Jr. said.