Los Angeles County officials met for two hours with two members of Malibu's unofficial City Council last week to discuss the future of the $43-million sewer system the county wants to build in the community, but no progress was reported.
Last Friday's session marked the first time the county has agreed to conduct talks with Malibu's leaders, who are opposed to its sewer plans, on the future of the project.
"I suppose the fact that we are talking in itself signals some progress," City Councilman-elect Mike Caggiano said. He and others involved in the session declined to discuss details. A second meeting is planned, but has not been scheduled, officials said.
The county agreed to the talks after members of the California Coastal Commission earlier this month indicated that they were unlikely to allow construction of the sewer to begin until the county reaches an accommodation with Malibu's future leaders.
Besides Caggiano, Councilman-elect Larry Wan participated in the talks on behalf of Malibu. Representing the county were Thomas Tidemanson, the county's public works director, and his deputy, Harry Stone. Aides to Supervisors Ed Edelman and Deane Dana also attended.