Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

VENTURA : Man Burned in Fire at Mushroom Farm

Ventura County News Roundup

April 04, 1991|GERRY BRAILO SPENCER

An Oxnard man was severely burned Wednesday after a fire broke out while he was cleaning floor tiles with a flammable liquid at a Ventura mushroom farm.

Jesus Gastellanos, 30, was using a flammable liquid to remove adhesive from floor tiles at United Foods on Olivas Park Drive when a fire broke out at 9:53 a.m. He suffered second-degree burns over 60% of his body, Ventura fire officials said.

"We're not sure what exactly caused it," said Richard Achee, a Fire Department spokesman. "There was a water heater nearby, but we're still investigating it."

Damage at United Foods was estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the building contents.

Gastellanos first was taken to Ventura County Medical Center and then transferred to the burn center at Torrance Memorial Hospital.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|