Over the objections of some residents who said that the Third Street Promenade is becoming an uncontrollable party center, the Santa Monica City Council this week approved a 393-seat amphitheater in the city's budding night-life district that would be a venue for live music.
The amphitheater, which could open in a year in the basement of a building at 3rd Street and Santa Monica Boulevard, plans to serve food and drink amid live jazz, blues and folk music performances, developer Robert D. Resnick said. Under council-imposed conditions, it has to serve food during all operating hours, and it has to exclude minors after 10 p.m., except when they are accompanied by someone 21 or older.
Several community activists were concerned that the Promenade has too many liquor-dispensing establishments, too many people and too little parking. Many who addressed the council Tuesday night compared the Promenade to nearby Westwood Village, site of a Friday-night riot last month.
Shane Talbot, chairman of the Santa Monica Police Officer's Assn., said he wants Santa Monica Boulevard between 2nd and 4th streets shut down on weekend nights to accommodate pedestrians in the area, just as many Westwood Village streets are blocked off on weekends.