* Plan foods that are easy to prepare and safe to transport.
* Make a checklist of food and equipment.
* Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold, using refreezable ice packets and insulated bags.
* For sandwiches, pack all components separately and assemble them on the spot so they don't get soggy. Pack the dressing for lettuce salads in a separate container.
* Pack separate baskets as needed. It's best to keep food separate from the drinks, picnic settings and accessories.
* Place the food in the shade. Keep picnic hampers closed and well cooled with ice.
* Always pack more food than you think you'll need. Appetites are enormous in the outdoors.