Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBuena Park

Not a Double Dip

June 23, 1991

In his complaint about double dipping, Shigeo Yuge shows that he doesn't understand the tax impact of depreciation (June 9) referring to an "Apartment Life" column. If depreciation resulted in an equivalent tax credit, then his point would be valid. However, depreciation only gives a tax deduction. By the time a carpet has been fully depreciated, someone in a combined federal and state tax bracket of, say, 42% has only saved enough to pay for 42% of the replacement carpet. The other 58% will come out of the landlord's pocket.

BILL BOYD

Buena Park

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|