A small remnant of the glory that was Hollywood rests in Runyon Canyon Park. Amid the hills on these 133 acres is a well-preserved tennis court--not a crack in it--that seems to await the return of Errol Flynn, in tennis whites, chilled daiquiri in hand.
Originally a sprawling private estate--built in 1920 by Carmen Randolph Runyon, rented by Flynn and later owned by A & P supermarket heir Huntington Hartford--the property was all but abandoned during the '60s and '70s. The house and other buildings were torn down; the exotic gardens went wild; the long, curving, palm-lined driveway cracked and turned to dirt. These ruins, just a quarter-mile from the traffic-choked intersection of Hollywood and La Brea, developed a well-deserved reputation as a haven for transients and drug users.