A Juvenile Court referee on Thursday ordered that a 15-year-old live-in baby-sitter accused of killing an infant be detained at Orange County Juvenile Hall instead of turned over to relatives.
The girl, whose name is being withheld because of her age, is accused of killing 9-month-old Oscar Miguel Vargas on Monday night. He died from severe shaking and blunt-force trauma caused by a hand or fist, coroner's officials said.
Police arrested the girl, who moved into the Vargas' Santa Ana home 3 1/2 weeks ago, after Oscar's brother told them that he saw the girl beating Oscar earlier in the evening.
The court referee, James Odriozola, indicated that he was ordering the girl held at Juvenile Hall because he feared that she might flee. A public defender was named to represent her, and a pretrial hearing was set for Thursday.