DALLAS — Two Texas A&M assistant basketball coaches were among eight victims treated in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber Sunday for carbon monoxide poisoning suffered Saturday night when the heating system malfunctioned at Baylor's Ferrell Center.
Senior forward Anthony Ware also was treated, but because he suffered from a sinus infection, doctors had to remove him from the decompression chamber after a short time, said Dr. David Turner, who accompanied the patients in the chamber at Humana Hospital-Medical City Dallas.
The patients' prognoses for speedy recoveries were good, doctors said.
The nine patients were expected to be released today after a night of observation, a Humana spokeswoman said.
The Texas A&M team, game officials and others were taken to two hospitals in Waco after being overcome by fumes. The arena was evacuated and the game postponed.
Seven admitted to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center were flown overnight to Humana, including Ware, A&M graduate assistant John Pigatti and official David Hall, Ferrell Center worker Anthony Hazley and A&M assistant sports information director Colin Killian.
Also treated were a Baylor student reporter covering the game and a catering service employee who was setting up a media banquet when she was overcome.