YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

DIVISION II BOYS' SOCCER : Torrey Pines, San Pasqual Tie for Title


CHULA VISTA — They waited an extra 48 hours to play the championship game they had anticipated for an entire season. Then they battled for 110 minutes in a chilly night on a slippery, wet pitch at Hilltop High. And for what? A tie?

Yes, a 1-1 tie was the result of Monday's San Diego Section Division II boys' soccer final between No. 1-seeded Torrey Pines and unseeded San Pasqual, making the teams co-champions.

The game had been scheduled for Saturday, but was postponed because of rain.

Torrey Pines dominated the first half, taking a 1-0 lead. San Pasqual dominated the second half, tying the game and nearly winning it in the final minute. Neither team stood out in 30 minutes of overtime. One hundred and 10 minutes, 48 hours, the 1991-92 season. All wasted, Torrey Pines Coach Brian McManus said.

"The whole game was a waste of time," said McManus, whose Falcons finished 25-1-3 while the Golden Eagles wound up 17-6-1. "A co-championship is a waste of time. It's criminal if no one goes away a winner.

"Let's continue play. I'll take the penalties, just as long as a championship is won on the field."

Jose Carruitero gave Torrey Pines the lead 18 minutes into the game as he outfought two defenders for possession, darted to his right and drilled a crossing shot past Eagle goalie Jon Palecek.

San Pasqual, a team that finished 8-4 in the Avocado League and didn't appear as talented on paper, proved just as quick and adept at ball handling. The Eagles outshot the Falcons, 10-3, in the second half and scored in the 68th minute when J.J. Kinsel, taking a pass from Jovan Kirovski at midfield, weaved through two defenders and shot past charging goalie Kyle Campbell into an empty net.

But the play that Kinsel, a junior, is most likely to remember came in the final minute of regulation. He was wide open with a point-blank shot in front of the box. Matt Reznichek's pass from the left corner, however, took a wild, high bounce and Falcon John McCarty jumped in to clear the ball before Kinsel could set up a shot.

"We were having a rough game and I wasn't concentrating at that moment," Kinsel said. "We played real good, just unlucky."

Kinsel was stopped again in the final minute of overtime, but time expired as San Pasqual lined up for a throw-in. The Falcons outshot the Eagles, 8-3, in overtime and, for a second, thought they had a victory when Jason Snyder scored. But Snyder was also offsides, and the score remained tied.

Los Angeles Times Articles