Since its opening two weeks ago, the revamped Yorba Linda Public Library has drawn thousands of residents interested in the city's "other library."
After a two-year renovation, the library at 18181 Imperial Highway--about a mile from the "other library," the Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace--reopened as scheduled on June 1, attracting a crowd of 2,000 the first day. Employees reported no problems during the first couple of weeks, although they were kept busy answering questions about the new locations of books and materials.
The library redesign provides room for 130,000 books, a 200-capacity community meeting room and a used-book store run by the Friends of the Library, among other services.
Only 4,000 square feet was added to the original building, but the entire look and layout of the library have changed. Gone are the avocado green and gold interior colors, replaced with muted tones of peach, lavender and mint green, combined with multilevel ceilings, natural lighting from wide windows and Art Deco design touches. Even the exterior of the 29,000-square-foot building has been painted a shade of peach.
Most of the collection of 100,000 books and 375 periodicals is housed in a large central area on the main floor. Patrons can use a computerized card catalogue to find materials and handy reference computers to look up information on businesses--a feature quickly becoming popular among local business owners, according to library spokeswoman Wilda Kovich.
Upstairs are administrative offices and the children's area, complete with pint-sized tables, chairs and computers. A story room is equipped with rows of carpeted, tiered seating so youngsters can get a good view of the storyteller.
On the ground level is an the expansive community meeting room with kitchen facilities and "the only used-book store in Yorba Linda," according to Kovich. Run by Friends of the Library, the store is well-stocked with donated or discarded magazines and books sold for a fraction of their initial cost. Proceeds benefit the library's children's programs.
The Yorba Linda Public Library was founded in 1913, when patrons perused a collection of 63 donated books in a small room in a new schoolhouse on School Street. A library building built in 1950 was expanded in 1970.
The latest redesign cost $3.7 million, which was paid for with library funds and redevelopment money.