YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Suspect Had Harassed Victim, Affidavit Shows : Courts: Ex-Marine who has been charged with the attempted murder of his ex-girlfriend, who was wounded during shooting spree last week, had been threatening her, court records show.


SANTA ANA — An ex-Marine charged with trying to kill his former girlfriend during a shooting rampage last week at the El Toro Marine Corps Air Station had been harassing and threatening her because of a dispute over their 8-year-old son, according to a newly released court affidavit.

The affidavit was filed Monday in support of a criminal complaint charging a 30-year-old South Carolinian, Aldaten Leonard Bush, with one count of attempted murder and another count of carrying and using a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Also on Monday, U.S. Magistrate Volney V. Brown Jr. granted a prosecutor's motion to hold Bush without bail because of the nature of the crime and the possibility that he might attempt to flee prosecution if released.

Bush's former girlfriend, Staff Sgt. Deborah L. House, 31, and Cpl. Patrick D. Crudup, 20, an apparent innocent bystander, were shot in the head last Friday during the shooting spree at the base.

Authorities have not yet filed any charges against Bush for the wounding of Crudup, saying the incident is still under investigation.

House, who has been stationed at El Toro for three years, remained in critical condition Monday in the intensive care unit of Western Medical Center-Santa Ana, said hospital spokesman John Boop. A bullet is lodged in her brain and she is not expected to survive, the court affidavit states.

Crudup was taken out of the intensive care unit and was listed in stable condition, Boop said.

If House dies, Bush could face the death penalty, the magistrate said Monday.

According to FBI officials, Bush had threatened and stalked House for six years. Bush and House had a son together but separated six years ago after Bush allegedly pointed a gun at her and threatened to kill her, authorities said.

As recently as May, House had complained to base officials that Bush was calling and harassing her in an attempt to see their son, court papers show.

When a Marine investigator called Bush about the harassment, Bush told the investigator that he was trying to see his son and "I'm going to deal with . . . anybody that gets in my way," the court documents show.

Last Friday, Bush, wearing fatigues, entered the base and drove to where House worked. He then chased and shot at House, apparently wounding Crudup. Bush chased House into the men's bathroom of a base building and shot her in the head, authorities contend.

Bush will remain at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Los Angeles pending his arraignment, scheduled for Sept. 14.

Los Angeles Times Articles